Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cake Mix Dr Bakes GF

 {this is my gluten-free life}

I was so excited to bake these semi-homemade baked goodies, with 3 young active children I need shortcuts...
 have you seen this book yet? it's The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free (by Anne Byrn)
where you will find 77 recipes for gluten-free: layer cakes, bundts, sheet cakes, bars, brownies, cookies, cupcakes, & muffins
(most of the recipes call for a yellow gluten-free cake mix, some others call for a chocolate gluten-free cake mix or a gluten-free brownie mix)

although made-from-scratch GF baked items can be very delicious, they have expensive ingredients, more ingredients, & therefore take more time to make

I know what you're thinking... mixes are not healthy, but your mind will be put at ease because GF mixes are ALL NATURAL, no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no artificial preservatives (that's a huge difference from regular mixes)

when I'm baking GF I don't only have myself to think about, but my oldest son, as well, so GF baking needs to be at times teen-friendly & easy enough for him to prepare as he needs to learn how to bake GF for himself

a huge bonus in this book is that most of the recipes can be made dairy free, too (I'm also reduced dairy, so this is very helpful to me)
 what I really want in a recipe book is a photo of each recipe & at the beginning of this book there are color photos of every single one

so far, I've used 14 different recipes from this book:
 Kathy's Cinnamon Breakfast Cake
 Holy Cow Cake
 Peanut Butter Brownies
 Marbled Cream Cheese Brownies
 Cookies and Cream Cake
 Fresh Orange Bundt Cake
 Toasted Coconut Pound Cake
 Easy Fruit Crisp
 Darn Good Chocolate Cake
 Susan's Lemon Cake
 Pumpkin Party Cake
 Hot Lemon Poke Cake
Honey Bun Cake

& Chocolate Chip Cake (sorry no photo)

our absolute favorite is the toasted coconut pound cake, after that it would have to be the lemon cakes, darn good chocolate cake, honey bun cake...

there are so many ideas & tips, I sure hope you can get your hands on this book, so you can doctor up some cake mixes soon

from my gluten-free kitchen to yours...