Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Snow White Dress

 My daughter had a princess class in July where she wanted to dress up each day, so she 'needed' another princess dress. She didn't have a Snow White one yet, so Snow White it was. I was inspired by this dress and these adorable dresses...

And here is my version, a cute simple easy to wash and wear peasant style dress made out of cotton fabrics. What I used...
 The Fabrics:
:: for the bodice: blue broadcloth
:: for the sleeves: light blue with red polka dots, although if you look real close the red polka dots have a pink ring then a blue ring around them
:: for the skirt: yellow with tiny white hexagons, it's Karen Snyder - Studio Anna Lena for Timeless Treasures Fabrics
 The Pattern:
:: Sweet Little Dress pattern from Leila and Ben
:: size 5
:: I had .5 yard of the yellow fabric, so the skirt part uses 18inches, then the rest of the dress used the blue broadcloth
:: I topstitched the the blue bodice (where it joined the yellow skirt) to give it a finished look
:: the dress goes down to the knee
:: what I love about it is that it's completely reversible, no buttons, no zipper, just slip it over the head ~ she can put in on & take if off all by herself (she doesn't need any of my help), so it's perfect for dress-up ! 
 Boy this Sweet Little Dress pattern sure has gotten a lot of use by me, if you're looking for different ways to us it, I have made one:
:: that was granny smith apple green with white polka dots for Christmas
:: repurposed from a vintage pillowcase with hand embroidery & crochet lace trim
:: from a man's white dress shirt into one that has 3 ruffles down the front
:: from a white eyelet strapless summer sun dress

If anyone is looking to start sewing for little girls I highly recommend starting with the Lazy Days Skirt (free) pattern, actually it's just a tutorial as no pattern is needed. But after you've sewn a Lazy Days skirt, I think this Sweet Little Dress pattern would make a good next step.